Welcome to OSU!

This checklist is intended to assist incoming faculty in their preparations to initiate research-related activities at OSU. Please review all relevant areas below and contact the related units as appropriate. This checklist is for your reference and does not need to be submitted.

Create or connect your ORCID iD! ORCID is a not-for-profit organization that provides a persistent digital identifier (an ORCID iD) that you own and control, and that distinguishes you from every other researcher. You can connect your iD with your grants, publications, and peer review. Learn more here.

OSRAA helps researchers navigate complex federal and non-federal sponsor requirements by reviewing proposals, negotiating awards, setting up project accounts, and invoicing and collecting awarded funds. OSRAA also assists with agency audits and federal financial reporting requirements.

  •  Register with OSU's proposal system: Cayuse
  •  Register/update applicable agency proposal submission systems (i.e.,NSF Research.gov)
  •  Transfer grants

Review proposal submission process and available support:

Contact OSRAA Proposal Team
(541) 737-4933

*If your proposal will involve potentially sensitive information that is individually identifiable or information that requires safeguarding or dissemination controls, we encourage you to seek consultation with the Office of Information Security

The Office for Research Advancement strives to increase our investigators’ competitiveness in obtaining extramural funding for research, scholarship, creative activity, and public engagement. Research development activities include facilitating interdisciplinary collaborations, offering workshops, managing the limited submission process, and coordinating internal funding programs. Find out more!

  •  Sign up to receive our monthly Research Development Newsletter!
  •  Attend our campus wide conversations, learning labs, and ignite sessions to build your understanding of grant proposal development and advancing transdisciplinary team-based research. See the events for the upcoming calendar.
  •  Contact research.development@oregonstate.edu to set up a meeting to get to know our team.

(541) 737-1755

The OSU Advantage team brings together unparalleled, holistic resources and activities to maximize OSU’s impact. We:

  •  Connect to a wide range of resources supporting your innovation and entrepreneurship
  •  Develop intellectual property protection strategies
  •  Support the development of high-growth companies through tailored programming and aligned funding
  •  Execute research, confidentiality, material transfer, licensing, and other industry agreements
  •  Provide access to unique tooling and development opportunities aligned with advanced technologies and manufacturing.

Two key initial steps include:

  •  Ensure that material transfer agreements (MTAs) are in place to enable you to bring your research materials or innovation to OSU, as required by your previous employer
  •  Establish inter-institutional agreements to facilitate your continued use of innovation developed by you at another institution and any ongoing related commercialization efforts

Contact the Advantage Office
(541) 737-3888

Several of the ORI units require researchers to complete online training modules on the CITI Program website, and submit applications and disclosure forms through one of the web-based submission systems (iRIS or Cayuse).

Ethics and compliance courses on the CITI Program website

  •  Log in to CITI using your OSU single sign-on credentials
  •  Contact CITI Support (888.529.5929) if you have more than one OSU-affiliated CITI account, so they can merge your accounts using your OSU single sign-on credentials.

iRIS online submission system

  •  Log in to iRIS using your OSU single sign-on credentials
  •  Create your profile in iRIS and upload your CV or resume
  •  If you need access to additional forms, contact the appropriate unit below for assistance.

Cayuse Platform online submission system

  •  Log in to Cayuse Platform using your OSU single sign-on credentials
  •  Review your profile in Cayuse Platform
  •  If you need access to additional Platform areas or forms, contact the appropriate unit below for assistance.
Research Conflicts Of Interest

The Research COI program office assists Investigators with federal, state, and university requirements, review, and management of potential or actual financial conflicts of interest associated with research.

  •  Complete the Research Conflicts of Interest course in CITI at least once every four years
  •  Complete your initial Research-based Disclosure form in Cayuse Platform within 30 days of qualifying as an active Investigator (see Instructions & FAQs for definitions)
  •  Update your research COI disclosure form:
    •  no less than annually
    •  within 30 days of acquiring a new external financial interest

Contact the Research COI Program Office
(541) 737-2762

Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) & Institutional Review Board (IRB)

The Human Research Protection Program and IRB support OSU’s commitment to research by working to protect the rights and welfare of human subjects who participate in research and by assisting the OSU community in ensuring compliance with the standards set forth in the federal regulations.

  •  Make an appointment with an HRPP staff member for pre-submission advising. See the HRPP website for information about training and support services.
  •  Complete the OSU Training in the Ethical Use of Humans in Research courses in CITI
  •  Review the pre-submission steps for preparing an initial submission
  •  Work with the PI to submit a modification through Cayuse if you will be added as a study team member to an existing OSU study
  •  Transfer previously approved studies to OSU by taking the following steps:
    •  Log in to Cayuse and begin a new application. Within the first few sections of the application, you can provide information about which IRB will oversee the study.
    •  Update the status of any studies that you have registered on ClinicalTrials.gov, including the Contact/Location section of the each record to reflect the new institution.

Contact HRPP
(541) 737-8008

Animal Program Office (APO) & Institutional Animal Care And Use Committee (IACUC)

The Animal Program Office provides administrative support and subject matter expertise for the IACUC and for OSU employees and students conducting research, teaching, or testing activities with vertebrate animals. 

  •  Contact the Animal Program Office prior to submission of new IACUC protocols.
  •  Contact the Attending Veterinarian and LARC to determine necessary support for animal care and/or housing activities.
  •  Complete IACUC protocol participant requirements. The Animal Program Office can be contacted to determine the status of pending requirements.
  •  Visit iRIS to familiarize yourself with the online protocol submission and management system.

Contact APO
(541) 737-8556

Scientific Diving

All persons conducting scientific diving under the auspices of Oregon State University (OSU) must be authorized to do so and have their dive plans approved in advance by the OSU Diving Safety Officer (DSO) and the Diving Control Board (DCB).

  •  Contact DSO upon arrival for review of AAUS dive status and planned underwater activities
  •  Obtain dive plan approval from OSU DCB prior to work commencing
  •  Review OSU Scientific Diving Checklist

Contact DSO
(541) 737-6893

Scientific Boating

Any person utilizing small boats (motorized or non-motorized) for research or educational activities under the auspices of OSU must conform to OSU standards and policies and have their boating projects approved by the OSU Boating Safety Officer (BSO) and Small Boat Advisory Group (SBAG).

  •  Contact the BSO upon arrival for review of SBSA and general boating status and planned boating activities
  •  Obtain boating work plan approval from OSU SBAG
  •  Review OSU SBP Checklist

Contact BSO
(541) 737-5992

Office of Export Controls and International Compliance

International Collaboration across physical borders and in the lab may trigger federal export regulations. The government has increased oversight on the flow of federally funded research overseas. Transparency and disclosure are key to ensure compliance with export controls.

  •  Contact Export Controls and International Compliance if you have questions about conducting your research overseas, when traveling with/shipping commodities and technical data or sharing them with non-US persons.
  •  If you have U.S. Federal funding (e.g., NSF, NIH, Dept. of Defense, NASA, NOAA, or Dept. of Energy) further disclosure may be required. Please contact the office for further support to meet these new requirements.
  •  If you accept restrictions on the publication of your research or foreign national access, it is likely you will need a technology control plan (TCP). Please contact the Export Compliance Officer (ECO) prior to proceeding in order to confirm its requirement and, if necessarsy, work together to draft your TCP.
  •  Please be alert for any research information labeled Controlled Unclassified Information or “CUI.” This information requires further Cybersecurity measures, please reach out to this office and notify the Office of Information Security within UIT for additional support.

Contact Export Controls
(541) 737-0647

Unmanned Systems Initiative

The use of unmanned aerial systems is controlled by the FAA. You will need to operate under a Part 107 certification unless your mission is pre-approved to fly without the FAA certification with the Research Office.

  •  All flights must be individually logged online for annual reporting.
  •  All equipment must be registered with FAA.

Contact Mallory Day
(541) 737-0647

Program for Responsible Research Practices

The Program for Responsible Research Practices provides guidance, training resources, and support for students, staff, scholars, and faculty in their efforts to maintain and model integrity in research. Visit the website to:

  •  review resources for instructor-led discussions about responsible conduct of research (RCR)
  •  identify RCR training required by federal funding agencies
  •  report allegations of research misconduct (fabrication, falsification, plagiarism)
  •  request that your RCR or research ethics course be listed as a resource
  •  request guidance related to data ownership or authorship criteria

Contact the Research Integrity Officer
(541) 737-9502

Your research may contain sensitive or confidential data that requires a data security plan. OIS can provide consultation and advice to ensure this type of information is protected sufficiently. Please be sure to consult with OI is you are holding:

  •  Controlled Unclassified Information
  •  Classified US Government Information
  •  Personal Health Information (PHI)
  •  Personal Identification Information (PII)
  •  IRB Level 3 data

Contact OIS

Environmental Health & Safety assists researchers with their safety programs by providing support across many areas, including: respiratory protection, hazardous waste, and occupational, biological, radiation, fire and life, fieldwork, and laser safety.

Contact EH&S
(541) 737-2273

OSU Foundation manages relationships between the university and private contributors, including individuals and private grant-making organizations.

  •  Make an appointment to meet with OSU Foundation’s Office of Foundation Relations to learn about resources available for grant seekers.
  •  Describe your research focus to Foundation Relations staff and the development officer assigned to your unit to match research focus to potential funders.
  •  Create a login to the GrantForward funding opportunity database

Contact the Office of Foundation Relations
(541) 737-4218