What steps do I need to take to fly a UAS for OSU?   


Who are you?

Why are you flying?

Requirements to fly



  • FAA Part 107 Certification
  • Register Your Drone with FAA
  • Register Your Flight with OSU and/or FAA


Course sponsored activity

  • Part 107 optional*



  • FAA Part 107 Certificate
  • Liability Insurance
  • Administration approval for flights on campus or with OSU vehicles


  • “Part 107” refers to the Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Rule in 14 CFR Part 107 as set forth by the FAA in June 2016. The new rules require pilots to register their aircraft with the FAA, take an FAA pilot training course, and operate under certain restrictions. See the Part 107 summary for more information.

*Students may be able to fly under an FAA exemption, contact the Export Control and International Compliance office for questions.

What is 14 CFR Part 107?

Effective June 28th, 2016, 14 CFR Part 107 (or simply "Part 107") defines rules for operating a UAS for commercial purposes. Anyone that wishes to operate their UAS for commercial work must be:

  1. At least 16 years old
  2. Able to read, write, speak, and understand English
  3. Be in a physical and mental conditions to safely fly a UAS

For more information about Part 107 and what it takes to get certified can be found under the "Faculty and Staff" or FAA's Certificated Remote Pilots page. 

How do I register my UAS?

An FAA N-Number is granted to aircraft that are successfully registered with the FAA. The N-Number must be displayed on the aircraft and accessible without the use of tools. As a public entity OSU is required to register all of its unmanned aerial vehicles before flying them. In addition, OSU aircraft must also be registered with Oregon Department of Aviation (ODA).


Taken under NMFS permit #16111 issued to John Calambokidis   Credit: Leigh Torres

Credit: Leigh Torres

*Taken under NMFS permit #16111 issued to John Calambokidis