Federal export and sanctions regulations prohibit the unlicensed export of specific commodities, software, technology and payments to or from certain countries, entities and individuals for reasons of national security, foreign policy or protection of trade. University employees are required to comply with United States export and sanctions regulations when traveling abroad with commodities, software, and technology. The Office of Export Control & International Compliance can assist with export and sanction determinations related to your international travel. You will find helpful information below concerning international travel procedures and best practices to ensure compliance with these federal regulations. If you have any questions pertaining to international travel not covered on this page, please contact our Export Compliance Officer Mallory Day.

To ensure there are no export controls issues we will screen your trip!

Oregon State University uses a system from visual compliance to screen countries as well as people/institutions you plan to visit to ensure the country or those parties are restricted by the U.S. Government.  This system provides the traveller with confidence in complying with U.S. export control regulations.

International Travel Tips and Additional Information

Presentations and discussions must be limited to topics that are not related to controlled commodities, software, or technology unless that information is already published or otherwise already in the public domain.

Verify that your technology or information falls into one or more of the following categories prior to traveling:

  • Research which qualifies as fundamental research
  • Published information
  • Publicly available software
  • Educational information

Do not take any commodities, software, or technology that fall into one of the following categories:

  • Classified, Controlled Unclassified, or Export Controlled
  • Limited Distribution, Proprietary, Confidential, or Sensitive
  • Specifically designed for military, intelligence, space, encryption software, or nuclear related applications
  • Data or information received under a Non-Disclosure Agreement
  • Data or information that results from a project with contractual constraints on the dissemination of the research results
  • Computer software received with restrictions on export to or on access by non-US Persons

For more about travel insurance, see this webpage:  https://risk.oregonstate.edu/

Temporary Export (TMP) Certification (link)

When taken outside of the United States, university property such as commodities, software, and technology (hereafter called items) may be subject to export licensing under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) or regulations by other government agencies. Many items such as laptops, tablets, cell phones and PDA’s containing commercial software, may be temporarily exported as "tools of trade" under the export license exception TMP. "Tools of Trade" can be simply defined as items that are used for university business, conferences, trade shows, etc. The TMP exception only applies to university property. Please complete the Temporary Export (TMP) Certification, listing all of the university items you plan to temporarily export. For any encryption items, please contact our office prior to your travel so that we can review the level of encryption and determine the proper registration requirements.

**This TMP Certification does not apply to any equipment, components, technical data or software specifically designed for military, space, or intelligence applications or otherwise controlled under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Nor does it apply to any nuclear or atomic energy items regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) or Department of Energy (DoE). In these cases, please contact OECIC.

Useful Links:

Travelling in an era of digital espionage:


U.S. Department of State Country travel information:


U.S. Department of State Travel Alerts/Warnings: